Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Fitness and Me

I never used to be a big fitness person. I had always been lucky to have a high metabolism that basically let me eat anything I wanted without much effect. I also, for last last 20 some years, thought I had chronically "bad knees" that prevented me from pursing any kind of athletic activity.  I occasionally joined the gym just so I could try to be stronger, more toned but it was always in spurts and rather random. Never once thought I should be working out in a structured way.

The first thing to change was my diet, specifically my intolerance. Lactose intolerance started around age 15. I don't even know what age it was that my body started rejecting anything that came out of the kitchen at McDonalds. I don't avoid dairy, I found an OTC enzyme that lets me enjoy my diary (anything but ice cream) so I didn't have to give it up, its not an allergy. And then a year into our marriage came the gluten intolerance discovery, so about 6 years ago now. Now that one wrecked havoc on my diet. But it has caused me to eat much healthier, make my meals from scratch, and become a label reader. You can, however, still eat a ton of junk food while being gluten free. Great and no so great at the same time.

After we were married I randomly took up yoga (P90X version, hard stuff) until I got pregnant with Ellie in 2013. I continued to do prenatal yoga through my pregnancy but basically gave everything up after she was born. I never got back to my pre-pregnancy weight but I was OK with that. I was too thin and the weight actually rounded me out a little. It was nice. I'd always have a belly but thats par for the course for most mamas. It wasn't until we lost Lexie in 2015 that my fitness obsession kicked into full gear. That grief propelled me into a life I could not have imagined before. Not only has it kept me from being overwhelmed by depression its given me new life, new goals and challenges.

I still feel like a novice when it comes to running, even though I ran a 10K last year. I rely heavily on my running group, internet articles, and a good physical therapist. I gained a lot more weight with Tyler and since he is my last, I want to fit back into my pre-pregnancy clothes. I had toned up nicely after Lexie so I have a long ways to go at this point. And trying to find time to work out with a 3 year old and a 3 month old is anything but easy. I can't run with Tyler in the jogger till he is 8  months old. I can't leave him (unless sound asleep) for much more than 30 mins before he's melting down. He is also now refusing a bottle. He just wants mama!  I'm cross training with Spin, ellipical, and core/upperbody work, both at home and at the Y. I've started back on an run/walk interval program to rebuild my endurance. I'm trying to eat better, hard when your constantly hungry from working out. I'm still finding myself struggling with tendinitis. The shin pain is back in my left leg and my left hip is really tight. So back to PT I go or it will also just get worse. The last month or so of my vamped up workouts is having an affect on the scale which is good but I don't want to do it at the cost of injury.

I love being a fitness junkie! I love how it makes me feel and the effect it has on my body. Just wish I would have discovered this all years ago...

No comments:

Post a Comment