Sunday, September 7, 2014

Is it worth it?

I recently had a physical done with  my family doctor. I recounted to her the story of becoming gluten free and the fact that 3 1/2 years ago my family doctor refused to run the blood test for celiac disease. He told me at the time that he couldn't run the test, would have to send me to a specialist, and to just do a two week elimination test, then eat something with gluten and see how I feel. Worst.Advice.Ever. This is why I have a healthy distrust for doctors sometimes. I followed a friends advice and did a more accurate 6 week elimination test and then attempted to eat a PB&J sandwich. Bad decision. Digestive issue like you wouldn't believe plus headache/brainfog... for nearly 2 weeks.

My current doctor wrote up orders for the celiac blood panel. Problem is... she says I'd have to eat gluten regularly for about a week for the test to be accurate. I've heard its more like two weeks in reality but who really knows. So the question is, is it worth it? Do I really need to have a medical diagnosis just so people will believe it is a medical condition and not just a fad/stupid diet that I did? So people don't believe the side effects/symptoms are just in my head? I would love to have a normal diet. It would be so much easier on our budget and on our social lives. Do I need a diagnosis? Does it bother me that much? Am I willing to be sicker then sick for God knows how long because I intentionally ate gluten for a week? Would I even be able to take care of Ellie? I do like the idea of being able to eat a Portillos hamburger and fries, papa johns pizza, good Chinese food, good Italian food (with out spending ridiculous amounts of money). But I don't think my cooking habits would change that much. I like a healthier made-from-scratch diet. Many of our meals are naturally gluten free (and cheaper for it). So I just don't know. I just don't know.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if this will help, but even if you have a diagnosis not everyone will believe you. There are people who don't think that food problems are real in general. Sometimes it is nice to have a diagnosis, but you are asking the right question, "Who do I really want a diagnosis for?" There is also the possibility that the test can come back negative and you are back to where you started because it is truly an intolerance (like the lactose) than an immune reaction.

    If you decide to do it, eat all the Papa John's, Portillo's Hamburgers and good Italian food that you can find!

    ReplyDelete