I ran and finished my second ever 5K today. It was a little rough training over the winter with a lot of time spent on the dreadmill but it did help me in the end. My finish time this race was 32:31 which is 6 mins faster than my Turkey Trot last thanksgiving. I can still hardly believe that I was running better than a 10:30 mile! Pushing ellie outside these last 2 months really helped to build my endurance. I also was invited to join a FB based mothers running group and it has been so much fun meeting new running friends who often run with their strollers too. Whether we run 5ks or marathons, doesn't matter. We are of the same mind set and I LOVE that!
There were just over 2,500 runners today. There was a half marathon and a 5k at the same time. Fun music, a great MC and near perfect weather conditions. Pretty early start at 7am on a Sunday (little chilly at the beginning) but absolutely gorgeous by 8-9am. I was able to see some friends finish their 1/2 marathons which was awesome.
My run was pretty good. I had my Garmin watch this time so I knew as I went how well I was pacing and also when it was getting tough how close I was to the next mile. A few challenging hills and before I knew it I was on the running track. I kicked it into high gear as I approached the finish and saw the clock ticking towards 33 mins (my goal) and made it in just under. Biggest gripe about the race is that the walkers didn't stick to the back at start up. My first mile was my slowest because I literally had to push my way through the walkers and zig zag to a clearer path. Very frustrating. I might have elbowed someone in the side at some point (not intentionally). Regardless, crossing that finish line is a thrill and afterwards as I watched the 1/2-ers finishing I found myself getting quite emotional. Hard to explain.
I didn't stop moving till after a family party this afternoon/evening and once I collapsed on the couch that was it, haven't moved much since except to put the kid to bed. Not sure when the next race is but as is often said "There is always another race." Need to get my leg healed up and start training for longer distance.




Just reading this and way to go! We finally got our computers unpacked an hooked up. :) You should run the 10k chicago race with me this July. I'm coming back to do the half marathon this year. :)
ReplyDelete