Thursday, February 11, 2016

Running post

So this post is just about running. Why? Because I like to talk about running with other people who like to run. I like to talk about distance and pace, treadmill vs road, running races, gear, and goals. I didn't realize when I started all of this I would become so passionate about it. If I have to go several days without a run I feel lazy and sluggish.

I strained a muscle in my left foot on my last outside run and have been struggling with it the last 2 treadmill runs but I'm stubborn and won't rest unless I've really done some kind of damage to myself. As it is, I've not made it worse by continuing to run but the muscles around my shin have been more sore because I'm sure I'm not landing on my foot normally because of it.

I've also had to increase the incline on my treadmill runs because the outside runs have really been kicking my butt. Between the hills and the wind, its easy to get lazy on the controlled environment of the treadmill. So I've gone from 1 incline to varying it between 3.5 and 4. 4 is a little tough so I'm working it in for 5 mins at a time and then taking it back down.  I'm sure that it is also contributing to the recent sore muscles as well.

Ellie has been doing fantastic with my dad as he watches her while I run. The first day or two she was a little hesitant that I left the room. Now its hard to even get her to acknowledge me when I'm done! She has a lot of fun playing with the toys and I know my dad is just thrilled to get to spend some time with her too. When the weather gets nice again, we won't go over there as much so I'm glad they are enjoying their time while they can.

My runs are getting faster! Not by a ton but I ran 3 miles last Saturday (outside) and ended with a time of 33 mins (approx) so roughly 11 min mile. My Turkey Trot time for 5k was 38.25. so I'm already 5 mins faster than my first race! Woot! That 3 miles though was tough. I really had to push for it and I did unfortunately have to take a 1/10 mile walk, I just couldn't breath! And at the end I felt like I was about to puke. Mid-day runs are a lot harder just because there is more food in my body and I'm naturally more tired. I tried to run that morning but it was about 17 deg. I gave up really quick. My nose was running, my eyes were tearing, my face was stinging, and my lungs were aching. By that afternoon it was 40 and sunny so I tried again and finished 3 miles.

Someday I may be inclined to train for a 10k. But right now, the 5k is still a challenge. Once I feel that its getting to easy I will start pushing either my speed or my distance. Still not sure which I would feel a greater sense of accomplishment by. I'm guessing distance. Nothing in me wants to run a half marathon. The 10k is a possibility though, we shall see. My next race is April 24th in my downtown area here.

On my wishlist is a Garmin running watch. I'm not a huge fan of the fitbit as I don't want or need a round the clock activity tracker. I'd just like to run without my phone attached to  my upper arm and still have an accurate record of time and distance and be able to set it for interval training. But they are expensive and we are desperately trying to save money again so we can get a house. It is so hard when all I want to do is just buy stuff :) I keep telling myself its something I want not something I need. And when all is said and done, I want a house more than a running watch!

I just hope when we move there is still some good running trails and a good running store in the area and races to enter in. Hoping to know something soon on that front but all in God's timing.

1 comment:

  1. Bwahahahaha. I knew you had a running bug in you. :) Welcome to the crazy club. There are good races to enter almost anywhere I've found. Trails might be a different story, but that's okay.

    ReplyDelete