Thursday, March 20, 2014

The Mommy Club

I've been feeling thoughtful this week. Well, as thoughtful as I can be seeing how sleep deprived I've been all week.

1 year ago I was mentally recovering from a failed pregnancy and mentally preparing for the next attempt. I was feeling so many, many things. Broken, anxious, doubtful, excluded, anything but hopeful, anything but normal. Infertility is one the worst and often least addressed issue amongst young couples. Unless you've lost a pregnancy or struggled for more then a year to get pregnant you can't even begin to know what it feels like to feel... abnormal. To be on the outside looking in. To sit in a room full of your friends who are talking happily about their pregnancy and little babies and have to walk outside for some fresh air so they don't see you crying. That was a year ago.

And today... I'm in the mommy club. The sleep deprived, can't-get-anything-done, crazy club. I've been accepted. I can converse now with other mothers. I'm not on the outside looking in... but so many women still are. And my heart breaks for them. God granted us a miracle and I get to love her and hold her everyday. But I can still, and always will, remember the heartache we had to go through to get here.

Please, be aware of who is around you and your friends. Someone may be struggling with infertility and you don't even know it. What comes easy and natural to so many is an insurmountable mountain for others. Make the effort to NOT talk non-stop about babies and include everyone. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment